Best Survival Knife for the Money 2021
Having a quality survival knife by your side can really make the difference if the time ever arises that you need to use it for a true survival situation. These knives are built and designed to take a beating and withstand extreme abuse that would oftentimes break or severely damage a standard pocket knife.
More often than not you will find that these survival knives have a full tang, meaning the metal which the blade consists of runs the entire length of the knife. This allows for extreme rigidity and strength allowing you to put these knives through the ringer while not having to worry about breaking or damaging them. Some people go so far as to hack down trees with their survival knives, we wouldn’t recommend that but rest assured these knives can take that kind of abuse and keep on going.
We’ve gone over and tested some of the top rated survival knives currently on the market and we’ve put together a list of some of the best survival knives currently available. If you’re looking for a high quality survival knife then you’ve come to the right place. Here are our picks for the best survival knives for the money in 2020.
Enjoy Our Survival Knife Reviews
|Image||Name||Top Choices||Latest Pricing|
|1. KA-BAR Full-Size USMC Fighting Knife|
|2. MOSSY OAK Survival Knife|
|3. Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife|
|4. SOG Fixed Blade Knife With Sheath||Amazon|
|5. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Serrated Knife||Amazon|
Pricing of these Survival Knives Range Between $25-$70
- 1 Best Survival Knife for the Money 2021
- 1.1 KA-BAR Full-Size USMC Fighting Knife Review
- 1.2 MOSSY OAK Survival Knife Review
- 1.3 Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife Review
- 1.4 SOG Fixed Blade Knife With Sheath Review
- 1.5 Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Serrated Knife Review
KA-BAR Full-Size USMC Fighting Knife Review
The KA-BAR US Military Corps fighting knives contain the legendary blade which was first designed for the US Troops to use during the World War 2, hence the name. Even after more than 50 years since it was first made, it still offers the same high quality that you can confidently rely upon. The following are some of the exclusive features of the KA-BAR full-size USMC fighting knife which makes it one of the best in its class:
- Carbon Steel blade – In contrast to the SS blade which is most commonly used, KA-BAR full-size USMC fighting knife features 1095 carbon steel which has been powder coated with Epoxy. Its overall length is 11.875” of which the blade length is 7”. The blade has a 20 degree angle at the edge.
- It is renowned as the most famous fixed blade knife design in the world.
- Leather handle and sheath – The handle of the USMC fighting knife is made of leather and it also comes with a 100% genuine leather protective sheath. It is durable, rugged and strong and a perfect gift for someone who is celebrating a military anniversary or military retirement. Ownership of this will help show your pride in serving in the US Military.
The KA-BAR legendary knife very quickly gained the popularity in the world and is the first choice for the men and women in service who use it as their personal knife because its an amazing tactical knife to have by your side.
- USMC fighting handle
- Come with sheath
- Rugged and durable
- Somewhat basic
MOSSY OAK Survival Knife Review
MOSSY OAK is an outdoor lifestyle company founded in 1986. From dirt to outdoor groceries and fostering of the outdoor lifestyle, they have been in the business of being outdoors. The MOSSY OAK survival knife is a multi-purpose knife which has been built for precision and control. The following are the features of the MOSSY OAK survival knife:
- Razor sharp clip point blade – The blade of the knife is made of 440C stainless steel, which makes it exceptionally hard and rust resistant. This clip point blade has improved edge retention and comes with saw back which makes it an ideal choice for survival training or camping expeditions.
- Knife Dimensions – The overall length of the knife is 15” of which the blade length is 10”. The thickness of the blade is 3.5mm.
- Full-tang rubber handle – The handle has been classically designed with soft rubber which provides an excellent non-slip grip.
- Fire starter and sharpener – It comes with a fire starter and sharpener which makes it a complete package for outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping, hunting, survival training, trekking etc. It also comes with a durable and high-quality nylon sheath which makes it easy and safe to carry.
The MOSSY OAK survival knife is one of the best-fixed blade hunting knives and will make a perfect gift for any outdoor sports enthusiast.
- Razor sharp blade
- Rust resistant
- Full tang
- Fire starter could use improving
Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife Review
The Ontario 499 Air Force survival knife has been accompanying members of the US Air Force for generations. Scientifically designed to save a life in practically any situation, the Ontario 499 holds true on Ontario’s promise of being a ‘Knife you need when you need a knife’. The following are the features and specifications of the Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife:
- Blade – The Ontario 499 Air Force survival knife features a 5” Parkerized blade that has a serrated top edge. The sharpening stone that comes with it ensures the blade can always be kept sharp.
- Leather handle and sheath – The leather handle makes the grip of the knife comfortable and sturdy, while the leather sheath protects the knife from rusting and unnecessary wear.
- Uses for the Ontario 499 Survival knife – The Ontario 499 features a bolt base which is ideal for hammering and breaking glass, while the sawtooth top is ideal for sawing through acrylic windows and aircraft skin. A perfect survival knife for the Air Force and other outdoor adventures.
The Ontario 499 Air Force survival knife has been carried by pilots for generations and is a perfect companion for aiding them in surviving the most adverse situations and even in typical environments. The product is GSA compliant and can make a perfect gift for someone to honor their service in the Air Force.
- Unique design
- Strong blade
- Strong blot base
- Blade could be slightly bigger
SOG Fixed Blade Knife With Sheath Review
SOG 2.0 Bowie is one knife you can trust. With classic design comes durability and versatility, a perfect tribute to the original Bowie blade. The following are the features of the SOG Bowie which gives rebirth to the iconic Bowie blade.
- Stainless Steel bowie knife blade – This knife features a 6.4” black TiNi AUS-8 SS Bowie knife blade and is a faithful and flawless tribute to the Bowie knife of the Vietnam era.
- Leather Handle – A classic combat knife grip is achieved through epoxied and stacked leather washers. The generous cross guard gives this military knife perfect balance and shields the sharp blade.
- Leather knife sheath and sharpening stone – The black leather knife sheath is a perfect sheath for this survival knife. The sharpening stone that comes with this knife assures a perfect razor-like blade every time you use it. This TiNi finish knife serves as a perfect knife for camping, personal protection, rescue or for general outdoor pursuits.
- A perfect knife for a lifetime – SOG says that you take care of your knife and they will take care of you. The SOG fixed blade knife is built to last and the company will consider all repair and replacement requests.
The SOG Bowie full tang knife with fixed blade is the perfect tribute to the iconic Bowie blade and a must-have for all adventure lovers.
- Extremely strong and robust
- Leather handle with epoxy
- Stainless steel blade
- Handle can cause slight discomfort
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Serrated Knife Review
The Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate serrated knife is the outcome of a collaboration between Gerber’s more than 70 years of expertise in making knife and gears and Bear Grylls’ experience in extensive outdoor survival and adventure. Bear knows what it takes to survive in extreme situations and this serrated knife is meticulously designed by Gerber by taking Bear’s recommendations into consideration. The following are the features of the Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate serrated knife:
- Sharp durable blades – Built meticulously after considering what adventurers, hunters and backpackers need, the ultimate serrated knife features a versatile 4.75” drop point blade. The blade is partially serrated to aid in cutting rope and other fibrous materials and features full tang construction for overall durability. The hard stainless steel from which the knife is crafted will ensure edge retention for a longer period of time.
- Innovative and ergonomic design – The basic requirement of any survival tool is its ease of use. This knife features a comfortable no-slip grip with a couple of holes in the handle to securely lash it to a stick for use as a fishing spear. The SS pommel at the handle base can be used for hammering or pounding. The lanyard cord features a whistle which can be used to attract attention in case of an emergency.
- Military-Grade nylon sheath with smart detailing – As smart as the serrated knife is, so is its nylon sheath. The sheath folds open to a diamond sharpener and also features a fire starter rod which is tucked into a watertight holder. The nylon sheath is crafted from military grade material which is mildew resistant, even in harsh climates.
The Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate serrated knife is a 21st-century knife built with the latest technology and innovation and a must-have for all the camping lovers. This knife would make an amazing hunting gift for any avid outdoors man or women.
- Included sheath
- Come with fire starter
- Non-slip grip is very good
- Relatively small size